As a published author, a seasoned editor and experienced creative writing teacher, I offer a myriad of teaching possibilities for children and adults alike, varying from two-hour workshops to eight to ten session courses. School visits, webinars or hands-on workshops at location or in Amsterdam, everything is possible.
All workshops and courses are available in Dutch and English.
A SELECTION OF WORKSHOPS:
- The Hero’s Journey – a two-hour workshop (or longer) for middle graders and teenagers. Guided by twelve of the main steps in The Hero’s Journey, attendees will explore the structure of stories. After a fun and enlightening expedition past these steps, attendees will embark on their own journey and, spurred on by writing exercises, they will write their own story.
- The Lost Plot – a day-long workshop for advanced writers. You have been working on your project for months, years even. Your characters shine and sparkle. Your voice is strong. Your writing is tweaked and polished to a brilliance. Yet, when you read through your project, you feel something’s amiss. And then fear creeps up your spine when you realize what’s wrong: you lost your plot!
From the gentlest picture book to edgiest young adult novel, every story needs a plot. A strong plot is the foundation of your story and, like a building without a sturdy base, your story will rattle and shake at the first wind that blows through if it’s not solid. In this hands-on workshop, we will explore plot. Your plot! Through reading and writing exercises, we will find out what plot is all about and how to fix a story when its plot’s gone AWOL.
- IllustWriter – a four-hour workshop for illustrators (and writers who would like to hone their picture book writing craft). You are a fine artist, and your illustrations are just what children and publishers like, but building those into a picture book – that’s a different story. And still, deep down, you’d love to do a book all by yourself. This four-hour workshop explores the different age groups, characters, tension, worldview and, of course, storyline, story structure and plot. With co-teacher Sieneke de Rooij.
A SELECTION OF COURSES:
- Weaving Stories Along the Silk Route – an eight-session (3 hours each) introduction course in creative writing. Themed around the Silk Route, attendees get a taste of what creative writing entails. Through writing poems, columns, blog posts, travel stories and short stories, we touch upon story structures, creating characters, building up tension, but also on rewriting and revising your stories.
- Writing Young Adults Novels – an eight-session (3 hours each) advanced writers’ course. Identifying conflict and inciting incidents, plotting and structure the YA novel, establishing memorable YA characters, narrative voice, and tension are only a few of the topics that will be tackled in this course for advanced writers. With lots of writing exercises.
- IllustWriter – an eight-session (3 hours each) course on writing picture books. This full course is geared towards illustrators, but also towards writers who would like to hone their picture book writing skills. With co-teacher Sieneke de Rooij. This course is currently being developed.
Dutch schools, international schools based in the Netherlands, libraries, and companies can contact me through Stichting Schrijven School Samenleving. Other interested parties like Dutch and international schools abroad, as well as writers looking for a mentor, may contact me via email: mina [at] minawitteman [dot] nl.