IllustWriter – Picture Book Writing for Illustrators and Writers
Posted on June 25, 2015
Illustrator, would you like to write your own story?
Writer, do you want to hone your picture book storytelling craft?
Here’s your chance! Take the next step and learn from two experienced colleagues, both children’s book writers, editors and creative writing teachers. Become an IllustWriter!
IllustWriter is a 7-week (6 sessions) course in writing picture books for illustrators by Sieneke de Rooij and Mina Witteman.
Zie IllustrAuteur voor de Nederlandse versie van deze cursus pentenboek schrijven voor illustratoren.
- Registration: Click here and fill in the form!
- Date/Time: October 1, 8, 15, – 1 week break, but the work goes on – october 29 and november 5 and 12, 2015 (backup date november 19, 2015); 10.00 – 13.00 hrs
- Location: ABC Treehouse; Voetboogstraat 11 – Amsterdam, 1012 XK
- Course fee: € 325,- excl. BTW (VAT), € 393,25 incl. BTW (VAT)
- This course will be taught in two groups. Mina Witteman wil lead the English speaking group; Sieneke de Rooij coaches the Dutch illustrators/writers.
In this course, we’ll work on the creation of a strong story. We will explore character and perspective, plot and storyboarding, tension and humor, climax and ending, interplay between text and image, and killing your darlings until you have a quality manuscript that is ready to submit. All theory will be illustrated with examples from Dutch and English/American picture book writers.
In between classes, you will work on home assignments. Supported by positive feedback from your teacher as well as the other participants, you will learn to closely review your own work.
During these seven weeks, you will increase your insight and sharpen your strategies for writing good stories, based on firm knowledge of theory and practice of picture book writing. And we guarantee: you’ll have a lot of fun on the way.
© The ‘IllustWriter’ course and workshop are developed by Mina Witteman and Sieneke de Rooij